The Schools Program is a partnership between Arts Every Day, Baltimore City Public Schools, and over 100 arts organizations, cultural institutions and teaching artists in Baltimore. Numerous studies reveal six benefits associated with arts in schools, including better reading and language skills, mathematics skills, thinking skills, social skills, motivation to learn and a positive school environment (Ruppert, 2006). Research also tells us that students in Baltimore City do not have equal access to the arts in school.
The goal of the Arts Every Day Schools program is to ensure students have the opportunity to learn, grow, create and innovate through art and design during the school day. Arts Every Day partners with individual schools over the long-term to provide:
- Teacher professional development in arts and arts integration
- A framework for progress towards an arts-rich culture of learning
- Individualized school strategies to support innovation, collaboration, and change school-wide
- Funding to support artist residencies, workshops, and trips to local museums and institutions across Baltimore City
- Access to special offers, reduced and free tickets for student arts programs provided by Arts Every Day’s vast array of artist and organization partners
Arts Every Day believes that all children in Baltimore City should have access to inspired teaching and creative learning through the arts. By building a culture of arts-driven collaboration and inquiry in Baltimore City Schools, Arts Every Day is making a measurable impact on students and teachers alike. With every district in Baltimore City represented by at least one school, the Schools Program will always work toward access and equity to the arts.